? 2 MONTHS BEFORE:
1. Sort through the contents of closets, drawers, and cupboards to declutter.
2. Inventory everything of value you plan to move and determine replacement values for insurance purposes.
3. Obtain estimates from several moving companies and choose one.
? 6 WEEKS BEFORE:
1. Finalize real estate or rental needs.2. If moving out of town, make travel arrangements.3. Notify your children’s schools of the move and contact new schools for enrollment information.4. Obtain copies of school records, or have them sent to new schools.5. Obtain copies of medical records for each family member and get recommendations for new doctor. 6. Consult insurance agents to find out if changes to policies are necessary.
? 1 MONTH BEFORE:
1. Alert utility companies to disconnect services and to have new service activated several days before you arrive at your new house.
2. If necessary, arrange for storage in your new community. 3. If you’re packing your house yourself, order supplies and start packing boxes.
? 1 WEEK BEFORE:
1. Confirm travel arrangements, if needed.
2. Arrange payment or deposit for movers.
3. Get cash to have on hand to tip movers.
4. Write directions to your new home for the moving company, confirm delivery date, and give the company your itinerary.
5. Complete change-of-address forms and send notices to magazine subscriptions, creditors, friends etc.
6. Cancel newspaper subscriptions.
7. Notify your employers -- new and old -- of your new contact information.
8. Clean rugs and have them packed for moving.
9. Obtain health certificates from your vet for pets traveling by air.
10. Pack suitcases you plan to move yourself with clothes, toiletries, jewelry, etc.
? ? MOVING DAY: ??
1. Pack your first-night box.
2. Accompany the mover as he or she inventories your possessions and makes condition reports.
3. Sign the bill of lading and keep your copies in a safe place.
4. Lock windows, turn off lights, close doors, and take a final tour after the movers have finished to make certain nothing is left behind.
Good luck and all the best in your new home.